Strong Families Strong Communities - What We Deliver – Housing Solutions
SFSC Strengthened Sector and Communities Program
The NSW Government has provided $67.2M in funding over four years. The program is focussed on continuing and further developing a range of initiatives that commenced in the first four years of SFSC.
Key initiatives and expected outcomes include:
- Home Ownership Options which will deliver 320 home ownership opportunities over 4 years
- Tertiary Accommodation Grants which will see 300 students enrolled in tertiary studies supported with the cost of housing over 4 years.
SFSC Closing the Gap Program
This program is made up of the following streams:
AHO Economic Recovery 23
Comprises two projects for new supply of homes by June 2023:
- ACHIF new supply will deliver 51 new homes by end June 2023.
- AHO new supply will deliver 45 new homes by June 2023.
Closing the Gap – Housing Solutions Program
Provide 200 new Aboriginal homes, 256 significant upgrades and over 4,440 Solar and Air-conditioning upgrades.
Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO) Flood Recovery Program
Provide $70m of grants to Aboriginal Housing Providers to repair and upgrade flood damaged properties in flood affected regions in NSW. For properties to be eligible for funding they are required to be located in the following seven LGA’s (Ballina, Byron, Clarence Valley, Lismore, Richmond Valley, Tweed, Kyogle).
AHO LAHC Transfers Project
Transfer 3,325 homes from LAHC to AHO, starting with Tranche 1 (500 properties in May 2023), Tranche 2 (500 homes Nov 23), Tranche 3 (2,325 homes August 24).
Infrastructure NSW (INSW) has transferred funds to AHO from the Redfern-Waterloo Housing Contributions fund. These funds can be used for a combination of:
- Purchase of existing dwellings/buildings
- Refurbishment of established dwelling/buildings for the purpose of providing additional affordable housing
- Purchase of newly constructed dwellings
- Construction of new dwellings.
The AHO is currently exploring opportunities to ensure the funds provide maximum value for money.
Reporting to INSW on the use of these funds will occur on a six monthly basis. A summary of this reporting will be included in future SFSC reporting.