Services Our Way
Building stronger families and communities
The AHO is committed to achieving better outcomes for Aboriginal people.
Services Our Way (SOW) – an initiative of the AHO – provides culturally appropriate service coordination, support and capacity building for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and families experiencing vulnerability, empowering them to improve their well being and achieve their goals.
SOW specialist Aboriginal staff work holistically and collaboratively with clients and service providers. This ensures that a culturally suitable and tailored solution is developed to help address the underlying causes that contribute to daily instability and challenging situations.
At the core of SOW is an individualised and family centred approach.
Key features of the SOW model that are unique and critical to its success include:
- Flexibility in design and deliver so local needs and contexts are taken into account
- Aboriginal control of the planning, design and implementation
- Aboriginal staff using tools developed and modified on the ground
- A focus on community involvement and engagement, with trusted relationships; and
- A holistic approach to working with vulnerable Aboriginal families to address mental, physical and emotional needs of clients, their families, and the communities in which they live.
SOW is delivered in the following LGAs:
Armidale Dumaresq Council
Liverpool Plains Shire
Glen Innes Servern
Tamworth Regional Council
Penrith City Council
Hawkesbury City Council
Blue Mountains City Council
Blacktown City Council
Parramatta City Council
Lithgow City Council
Shoalhaven City Council
Kiama Municipal Council
Shellharbour City Council
Service providers can get more information from this brochure PDF, 6058.71 KB
To refer a client, or to self-refer, download an Expression of Interest form DOCX, 144.75 KB
To contact SOW or for further information please email AHOSOWEnquiries@facs.nsw.gov.au