Apply for housing

To apply for accommodation through the Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO):

1. Check eligibility

To be eligible for Aboriginal housing, clients must:

  • establish their identity, and Aboriginality
  • be a New South Wales (NSW) resident, and
  • have a household income within the income eligibility limits, and
  • not own any assets or property which could reasonably be expected to resolve their housing need, and
  • be able to sustain a successful tenancy, without support or with appropriate support in place, and
  • if applicable, make repayments of any former debts to a social housing provider, and
  • be at least 18 years of age

A client may be ineligible for housing assistance (including social housing, temporary accommodation and private rental assistance) if:

  • he or she has a history of having committed registrable offences, and
  • it is likely that the presence of that client in social housing will
    • cause antisocial behaviour, or
    • present an unacceptable risk of harm to the client, to other social housing occupants or to neighbours.

To check your eligibility for community owned and controlled housing please contact either your local land council or Aboriginal Community Housing Provider.

2. Apply


All housing applications are processed through Housing Pathways. When you click the "apply" button below you will be taken directly to the Housing Pathways online application form.

Apply now

3. Confirmation of Aboriginality

You can submit your housing application before you obtain your Confirmation of Aboriginality. When you're housing application is accepted, you will be asked to obtain and provide confirmation of Aboriginality.

4. Read the AHO housing services policy framework

The Housing Services Policy Framework sets out the operational policy requirements for a range of housing services provided by Aboriginal Community Housing Providers registered with the Aboriginal Housing Office.

Further Assistance

To assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, further help is available from the Aboriginal Tenants Advice & Advocacy Service (ATAAS) as well as other housing and accommodation organisations.

Read our page covering frequently asked questions and tips for applicants.

Once housed in either a mainstream DCJ Housing or Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO) property, the new tenant will be classified on the registers of both organisations as being suitably housed.

  • acknowledge

We acknowledge the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we work and pay our respects to the Elders, both past and present.

Apology to the Stolen Generations