Aboriginal Housing Office FAQs

Aboriginal Housing Office FAQ’s


Aboriginal Housing Head Office

Phone: 02 8836 9444 or Fax: 02 9635 3400
Email: [email protected]
Address: 4 Parramatta Square, 12 Darcy St, Parramatta, NSW 2150

Aboriginal Housing Providers: https://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/housing-providers 
Aboriginal Housing Office partners and stakeholders: https://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/read-our-story/partners-and-stakeholders 
Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service (ATAAS): https://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/tenants/ataas 

Housing Complaints/Feedback/Suggestions

The Department is committed to handling complaints, feedback and suggestions fairly, efficiently, and effectively. We recognise that complaints can improve the way we operate and build stronger relationships with our stakeholders.

We are committed to providing a workplace free from harassment, foul or abusive language and other forms of unreasonable conduct and hold a zero-tolerance approach to unreasonable complainant conduct. 

You can click the link below to lodge a complaint, compliment, feedback or suggestion:


Contact the Chief Executive or Chairperson 

Email: [email protected]

Repairs/Maintenance Requests


For urgent/non-urgent repairs you must contact your housing provider via the contact details within the useful contact information link below.


Applying for an AHO Property


All housing applications are processed through Housing Pathways. 
Only after eligibility is established can you apply for an AHO property. For further information in regards to applying for an AHO property please click the link:


To be eligible for Aboriginal housing, clients must:

  1. Establish their identity, and Aboriginality

  2. Be a New South Wales (NSW) resident and be of at least 18 years of age

  3. Must have a household income within the income eligibility limits, and

  4. Must not own any assets or property which could reasonably be expected to resolve their housing need, and

  5. Must be able to sustain a successful tenancy, without support or with appropriate support in place, and

  6. If applicable, make repayments of any former debts to a social housing provider

You can find information regarding ineligibilities via: https://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/applicants/apply-for-housing

Wait times on AHO properties

When you apply for an Aboriginal Housing property the time you wait depends on things such as:

  • The number of homes becoming available as others leave

  • The number of people who’ve been waiting longer than you

  • The number of people we have approved for priority housing or priority transfer because we will house these people before other people.

AHO are unable to advise of wait times however, you can check the DCJ website for approximate wait times in your area via the link: https://www.facs.nsw.gov.au/housing/help/applying-assistance/expected-waiting-times These are only set as a guide. 

Please note, if it will be a long wait in the area where you want to live, you may need to discuss this with your housing provider and look at other locations with shorter wait times if this suits your circumstances.

Confirmation of Aboriginality


The AHO does not issue letters of Confirmation of Aboriginality or Certificates of Aboriginality.

To obtain confirmation of Aboriginality you should contact the Local Aboriginal Land Council or a local Aboriginal Corporation in NSW from which you descend from. If this is not an option, you may wish to contact Aboriginal Affairs NSW for further assistance via the contact details below:
Aboriginal Affairs NSW

Phone: 1800 019 998 
Email: [email protected] 
Website: https://www.aboriginalaffairs.nsw.gov.au

Service Directory

DCJ Housing Contact Centre 

Provides maintenance, emergency repairs, as well as advice on Rent start (bond) and home purchasing.

Phone: 1800 422 322
Aboriginal Enquiry Line: 1800 422 322
DCJ property manager contacts: https://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/tenants/housing-organisations-contact-list

Energy and Water Ombudsman 

Phone: 1800 246 545
Post: Reply Paid 86550, Sydney South NSW 1234
Complaint: https://www.ewon.com.au/page/making-a-complaint/complaint-forms 

NSW Fair Trading 

Phone: 13 32 20
Website: https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/contact-us 

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal 

Phone: 1300 006 228 
Website: https://www.ncat.nsw.gov.au/ncat/about-ncat/contact-us.html 

Service NSW

Phone: 13 77 88
Website: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/contact-us 

Emergency Directory 

Emergency: 000

Crime Stoppers 

Phone: 1800 333 000

Child Protection Helpline 

Report child abuse, neglect or concerns for a child’s welfare 
Phone: 13 21 11 

Domestic Violence Hotline 

Report domestic violence 
Phone:1800 656 463 or 000 if it is an emergency


Crisis support
Phone: 13 92 76


If you require assistance due to flood, storm and tsunami emergencies
Phone: 132 500

Emergency Temporary Accommodation

Phone: 1800 727 555 

Aboriginal Hostels

Provides temporary accommodation services throughout Australia
Phone: 02 9310 2777 or 02 6212 2001

Homeless Persons Information Centre 

An information and referral service for people at risk of or who are experiencing homelessness. Open 9am-10pm daily including public holidays
Phone: 1800 234 566 / 02 9265 9087

Homelessness NSW

Contact point for information and resources related to homelessness in NSW
Phone: 02 9331 2004


AHO Website FAQs.PDF

  • acknowledge

We acknowledge the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we work and pay our respects to the Elders, both past and present.

Apology to the Stolen Generations