New South Wales Government Family & Community Services - Aboriginal Housing Office

Water Usage Charging

The Aboriginal Housing Office has released Water Usage Charging Ministerial Guidelines for Aboriginal Community Housing Providers.

This means that your housing provider may charge you for the water you use at home. If your home is on a separate water meter, a reading will be taken by the local water authority, and your provider will charge you for the water that you have used.

If your home is on a shared water meter (for example you live in an apartment or townhouse), an estimate based on household size and type, your income and/or your rent will be used to determine how much water usage you will pay.

You will only be charged for water that is used – you will not be charged for other water-related services such as water connection or sewerage charges.

For more information, please read our comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions, call the Aboriginal Housing Information Service on 1800 727 555, or email us.

Enjoy a Happy Home

Happy Homes bookletThe AHO's free downloadable booklet 'Happy Homes' has lots of great ideas for tenants for creating a safe living environment for families, and information on what to do in case of an emergency such as a fire, and how to keep pests out and your children safe.

Useful Contact Numbers

Housing Contact Centre
phone image 1300 468 746


Emergency temporary accommodation
phone image 1800 727 555


phone image 1800 152 152


Aboriginal Hostels
phone image (02) 9310 2777
phone image (02) 6212 2001

More contacts »