Aboriginal Housing Information Service (AHIS)
"Empowering our mob with the knowledge to meet their housing needs"
What is AHIS?
The Aboriginal Housing Information Service (AHIS) located in our Parramatta Office provides information and advice to our people about housing options and issues. It also ensures that referrals are made to appropriate agencies.
It was never envisaged that AHIS would be an 'advocacy' service, as this is the responsibility of organisations such as the Aboriginal Tenant Advice and Advocacy Service (ATAAS) for all Aboriginal tenants and the Housing Appeals Committee for AHO tenants. AHIS play a significant role in ensuring that referrals are made to appropriate agencies.
What does AHIS do?
- AHIS provides information which may enable people to more effectively identify the housing services which best suit their needs.
- AHIS provides advice and referrals for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to access better housing options.
AHIS assists Aboriginal people by providing professional information necessary to meet their housing needs, on matters such as;
- Aboriginal Community Housing Providers
- AHO tenants
- Clients requiring information or advice on housing issues.
- Community Housing
- Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA)
- Complaints and Feedback
- Emergency Accommodation
- Home Purchase
- Housing NSW tenants
- Local Aboriginal Land Council
- Private tenants
- Real estate agents
AHIS can advise on:
- Starting a tenancy
- Tenancy Rights and Responsibilities
- Notice of Termination
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Rental Arrears
- Bond Assistance
- Other places that you are able to seek assistance
AHIS Contact Information
The Aboriginal Housing Information Service (AHIS) is located in Parramatta; however, the service provided is available for all Aboriginal people with any housing enquiries across New South Wales.
Telephone advice is available during office hours
Monday to Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm
FREE CALL: 1800 727 555
PHONE: (02) 8836 9444